Topic this time is: 10 Things I Did Last Week.
1. Worked on my Cozy Memory Blanket. This blanket is made from left-over scraps of sock yarn. And you pick up stitches every time you start a new square, which I love. (means no sewing together!)
It’s supposed to be cold and cloudy again today and I plan to sit and knit and drink coffee part of the afternoon, working on this cute little blanket!
2. Baked my Daddy a carrot cake for his 81st birthday! I keep tweaking my recipe. He had requested more icing, but this time, there was too much. I really think one recipe of icing will be enough, now that I know how to make it! The main factor for perfect icing (that wasn’t in the recipe) is that all the ingredients be room temperature! Live and learn. This cake recipe is so good: carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple, lots of cinnamon. Perfect! Next time I’m going to figure out how to put some kind of colorful decoration on top – not sure what, but it needs to be orange.
Here’s the recipe, if you love carrot cake too: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carrot-Cake-2/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=carrot%20cake&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1
3. Very little book schooling happened last week, since we were in Colorado most of the week and had obligations to attend to. We’ll catch up though. I’m planning on extending the year a little before we break for summer.
There was lots of unschool learning, however!
4. There was Mama Dove watching. There were no babies yet when we returned home from Colorado. I haven’t checked in a couple days but it’s got to be getting close!
5. Took our girls to a long overdue doggy spa visit! It was fun. Mama came with me this time and we went shopping, picked up barbeque for dinner. Fun day.
Our girls are always so happy when it’s over and they’re home again. tootsie-pop is very high maintenance these days, but once I get her home, take her out, make her lunch, offer her water, she’s a happy little camper and loves to take a long nap. A doggy spa day is very tiring for our little lady.
She’ll be 17 on June 3rd. Already planning a special birthday dinner for our little tootsie!
Boo-berry is always happy to get back home too, but it isn’t about being tired and needing to rest for her. She wants to get home to eat and play! She got her super short summertime hair cut this time!
6. On Thursday, we went to Big Elk Meadows. (first time in a long time.) We stopped by to see a friend’s cabin and get inspiration for our own!
7. Checked out the new Mirror Lake Dam. With its completion, we now have a lake for the community’s water supply. We have a much safer spillway for Spring runoff season and our main entrance to the community is open again!
8. Finally had a successful perc test for our new drainfield site! Now our engineers are designing the system. Step one for rebuilding!
9. Tried out a new restaurant in Estes Park. (new for me anyway.) It was delicious and fun! I love when new places are so good that you can’t wait to go back!
10. I threw my back out early Friday morning.
With all the stretches and exercises I do for my back, I thought I was guaranteeing that this wouldn’t happen again. No such luck.
After consulting with a physical therapist yesterday, he thinks with the weight loss, I need to change up the exercises and increase my strength. (the extra weight may have been stabilizing everything and now that it’s gone…) So we’ll be working on that for a few weeks. For now, I’m still in the tentative stage of recovery, taking pain meds and steroids, doing dry needling to help break up the pain cycle and very soon, I’m hoping to start the strengthening stuff.
The diet has been half-assed since the “back event” happened, out of necessity. And the exercise ain’t happening yet… I’ll get it back together soon, though.
I threw my back out in Colorado, at my Mom and Dad’s house. I was so thankful to have a bed that goes up and down! I wish everyone with back troubles could have one. AND… Mama taught Dood how to make perfect cheese toast. So she spoiled me at her house and then when we got home, Dood took care of me! Thank you, Mama and Will!